Pro-Change’s Smoking Cessation program assists smokers in all stages of quitting and helps those who have quit to stay smoke-free.
Fifteen percent of U.S. adults smoke. Most of those smokers want to quit; they’re just not ready.
Multiple studies have found TTM based individualized interventions for smoking cessation to produce long-term abstinence rates within the range of 22 – 26%. Those interventions have also consistently outperformed alternative interventions including action-oriented self-help programs1, non-interactive manual-based programs2, and other common interventions.3 These interventions continued to move smokers to abstinence even after the studies concluded. For a summary of smoking cessation clinical outcomes, see Velicer et al., 2007.4
The Smoking Cessation Program, available in English and Spanish, is a two-part, self-administered program that includes:
- Online computer tailored intervention (CTI) with questions and feedback tailored to each individual’s needs
- Dynamic web activities matched to the individual’s readiness to change (e.g., stories and suggestions from people who quit; cost and savings calculators; a nicotine dependency survey and feedback; a timeline to better health and much more.
Fully tailored text messaging is available. In a recent trial, the addition of tailored text messaging increased the effectiveness of our best practices by nearly 15 percentage points to 40.3%. In addition, the text messages increased engagement with the program, and qualitative feedback regarding the text message portion of the program has been overwhelmingly positive.
We have self-directed and coaching versions of our online Smoking Cessation program.
Fully tailored text messaging is available.
Youth Tobacco Cessation
We have a tobacco cessation program specifically for youth built on the same Transtheoretical Model principals as the adult program.
A Guide for Smoking Cessation
A stage-based manual to help all adult smokers.
For ordering information, see our manuals order page.
In a recent trial, the addition of tailored text messaging increased the effectiveness of our best practices by eleven percentage points. In addition, the text messages increased engagement with the program.
(Sample = 446)
At 3-month follow-up:
- 25.7% successfully quit smoking
- 40.3% successfully quit smoking when the program was augmented with tailored text messaging
(Jordan & Evers)
(Sample = 224 in inpatient psychiatry unit)
At 18-month follow-up:
- 20% successfully quit smoking
(Prochaska et al., 2014, Hickman, et al, 2015)
- Long-Term abstinence rates of 22% – 26% have been found for interventions tailored on the 14 TTM variables for smoking cessation
(Prochaska et al., 1993, 2001a; Velicer et al., 1995, 2007)