Pro-Change’s Smoking Cessation program assists smokers in all stages of quitting and helps those who have quit to stay smoke-free.
Eighteen percent of U.S. adults smoke. Most of those smokers want to quit; they’re just not ready.
Multiple studies have found TTM based individualized interventions for smoking cessation to produce long-term abstinence rates within the range of 22 – 26%. Those interventions have also consistently outperformed alternative interventions including action-oriented self-help programs1, non-interactive manual-based programs2, and other common interventions.3
Furthermore, these interventions continued to move smokers to abstinence even after the studies concluded. For a summary of smoking cessation clinical outcomes, see Velicer et al., 2007.4
The Smoking Cessation Program is a two-part, self-administered program that includes:
- Online computer tailored intervention (CTI) with questions and feedback tailored to each person’s individuals needs
- Dynamic web activities matched to the individual’s readiness to change (e.g., stories and suggestions from people who quit; cost and savings calculators; a nicotine dependency survey and feedback; a timeline to better health; interactive stage-matched advice on how to get support, use substitutes, take control, deal with withdrawal symptoms, and avoid relapse.)
We have self-directed (samples below) and coaching versions of our online Smoking Cessation program.
Fully tailored text messaging based on a participant’s stage, pros and cons, confidence, and processes of change is now integrated into Pro-Change’s Smoking Cessation Program. Frequency of message delivery and total number of messages is dependent on stage of change. The content of the messages is determined based on responses to the reliable and valid assessments within the computer-tailored intervention. Specific messages around techniques for quitting and additional support are sent the seven days surrounding an intended quit date. Reminder messages are also included to prompt individuals to return to the program at pre-determined intervals.
In a recent trial, the addition of tailored text messaging increased the effectiveness of our best practices by 31.7% percent. In addition, the text messages increased engagement with the program, and qualitative feedback regarding the text message portion of the program has been overwhelmingly positive.
Youth Tobacco Cessation
We now have a tobacco cessation program specifically for youth built on the same Transtheoretical Model principals as the adult program.
A Guide for Smoking Cessation
A stage-based manual to help all adult smokers.
For ordering information, see our manuals order page.
In a recent trial, the addition of tailored text messaging increased the effectiveness of our best practices by eleven percentage points. In addition, the text messages increased engagement with the program, and qualitative feedback regarding the text message portion of the program has been overwhelmingly positive.
(Sample = 446)
At 3-month follow-up:
- 33% successfully quit smoking
- 43% successfully quit smoking when the program was augmented with tailored text messaging
(Jordan et al., 2013)
(Sample = 224 in inpatient psychiatry unit)
At 18-month follow-up:
- 20% successfully quit smoking
(Prochaska et al., 2013)
- Long-Term abstinence rates of 22% – 26% have been found for interventions tailored on the 14 TTM variables for smoking cessation
(Prochaska et al., 1993, 2001a, 1002b; Velicer et al., 1995, 2007)